Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ron Santo for the Hall of Fame

I can't imagine that there is a bigger Cubs fan on the planet than Ron Santo, so maybe I am biased. Anyone who has listened to one of his radio broadcasts will confirm that the man must bleed Cubbie blue. What ever he may lack in broadcasting acumen, he more than makes up for in enthusiasm.

This week, Ron Santo was denied entrance to the Hall of Fame (HOF) by the Veteran’s committee. The former Cubs third baseman led the balloting by the Veterans Committee but still fell nine shy of gaining the necessary 75 percent of the votes by the 64 living Hall of Famers. Santo received 39 votes, or 61 percent. No one on the ballot came close to getting in, the fourth straight time the Veterans Committee has failed to elect a member.

Santo makes perfect sense to me here in the Tribune: "Everybody felt this was my year," he said. "I felt it. I thought it was gonna happen, and when it didn't … what really upset me was nobody got in again. It just doesn't make sense. It'll be eight years now that they've voted and not let anybody in. And personally, I feel like there's a lot of guys that should've been in, not just me."

I agree with Santo, what is the point of the Veteran's Committee, if they never act?

Rick Morissey of the Tribune take is a good one. He wrote: "It's the question we Santo-ites have asked ourselves for years, and it's the question we were asking Monday when he again was denied entry into the Hall of Fame. This is not about our eyesight.

We see a player who was a great player during the 1960s and into the '70s. Santo hit .277 with 342 home runs, knocked in 1,331 runs, was a nine-time All-Star and won five Gold Gloves.

No, our eyes are fine. This is about the eyes of the 64 members of the Hall of Fame Veterans Committee. Santo received 60.9 percent of the ballots cast. He needed at least 75 percent.

Is there an optometrist in the house?

And no, this isn't a matter of having our heads in the sand behind third base either. We've asked for the facts to be given to us straight. We've looked them in the face. This isn't a sentimental journey. Think what you want about Santo as a Cubs broadcaster, but separate it from his playing career. During one of the best eras for pitching in baseball history, he distinguished himself against the likes of Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Juan Marichal, Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver."

So it's simple to me. On a list of deserving candidates for the HOF, Santo is alone at the very top of the list. I realize the HOF is supposed to be exclusive, but, at what price? Santo has earned the HOF on his career numbers alone, without a boost from his broadcast contributions.

I agree with Santo whole heartedly: "It wasn't going to change my life," Santo said. "I'm OK. But I know I've earned it."

So here’s to the crusade that will culminate in 2 years. Ron Santo - HoF 2010, Ron Santo HoF 2010, Ron Santo - HoF 2010.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I seen him play, plenty!

'yer sooo right!!!

U Bob