Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, December 19, 2008

Is This Nesting?


So last weekend it hit us that we have really done nothing to prepare for the baby in terms of getting the room ready and whatnot. We hadn't started started shopping, researching, etc. until last weekend. Yes, a lot of that is superstition on my part, but with the countdown on it's probably time to plan, right? After brunch last weekend with the Stierwalts, Steve and Jeremy, Catherine, and Tom, some panic definitely started to creep in. I think it started when Tom was talking about how he and Kristin had already ordered several cribs only to have their orders cancelled--and they started ordering in October. (BTW, they're due within a week of us.) At that point I was convinced our child was going to have to sleep in a laundry basket. Thus, the panic.

Later on as I explained to Beth my newfound realization that we are so not prepared, she said that I must be hitting the nesting phase. No way, she couldn't be right. This is nesting? I mean, the word "nesting" sounds all warm and fuzzy. Uh, not so much. In reality, apparently nesting is comprised of panic, insomnia and fatigue. I feel so misled.

Luckily, Jody and I are feeling a bit better now. We've both been doing Internet research, reading "Baby Bargains," talking to friends and realizing that if we don't have everything all set before Baby Schwartz comes, we'll survive. Plus, we're going to hit the 'burbs this weekend to see how this shopping thing goes. I'm dreading the Babies R Us experience, but I guess it's just another pre-baby right of passage. And don't worry, the whole laundry basket idea has been shelved. We have a pac-n-play from my parents already that can tide us over if all else fails.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It'll all work out. There is just sooooo much out there, so many books, and so many theories on how to raise kids. When we were babies they hardly had any of that stuff and we turned out ok. You'll be in good shape! -Katie