Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Saying Good-Bye


Edin was so lucky to get to meet her great grandma in late 2007. Here are four generations of the awesome women/little lady in my family: Gram, Lisa, Mom and Edin.

It's been a really sad past week/weekend for our family. On Sunday, January 18th my Grandma Ar passed away. She was 85 and had been living courageously with Parkinson’s for many years. My Grandma was an amazing woman. Sharp until her last days, despite her physical suffering, she was an inspiration to everyone in our family and beyond.

My favorite thing about Grandma was her quick wit. My grandma was a strong lady and was always put together and composed. I rarely remember her without lipstick, without her earrings clipped on or without her hair perfectly done. But, there was way more to Grandma than all that. She had this dry wit that totally disarmed people. That charm and natural spark made her loved by so many. She had a great laugh and knew just what to say to crack people up with her funny comments and smart sarcasm.

She was also such a warm and nurturing grandma. One thing she used to say that has stuck with me and Lisa is that if you think of something nice to do for someone, do it. No need to over-think, over-analyze or worry about what people may think. Just do it. And I often find myself remembering that and listening to her words.

I feel so lucky that I had so much time with her, getting to know her so well and loving her so much. I know Grandma Ar will continue to be felt and seen within all of us.

Here are some old pictures I found from our visits to Cleveland with Gram:

1 comment:

Beth Schulman said...

Diana,
I have heard of your grandma for so many years but met her only at your bat mitzvah and Diana's and had forgotten what she looked like. And, in the intervening years, I am afraid that your mother and I only talked about our parents in terms of their problems and challenges. Your mother was Parkinson's, mine was Spinal Stenosis. How affirming for all of us to know that our daughters (and son) remember them as complex human beings with opinions and influence. And how cute is that picture of Edin!!!!

love,
Beth