Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Getting Real

Well, it's getting real now. This weekend we spent Saturday and Sunday in childbirth class. I was kind of dreading this weekend because I didn't want to get too freaked out by the birthing videos and all that good stuff. But, it was actually a great weekend. Both Jody and I are feeling a lot more prepared and even more excited. Obviously, I'm not really eager to experience all the pain and all that stuff, but we're definitely feeling so eager for the big payoff: meeting our little boy or girl!

We took our class at my yoga teacher's house. I've been taking Dee's yoga class once or twice a week since the end of my first trimester and it has been one of the best parts of pregnancy for me. Not only do I enjoy the nap and cookie at the end of class, but Dee is an awesome teacher. She's such a warm, nurturing person and really understands what pregnant women need to feel good physically and mentally. Thanks to Chris and Karen for urging me to go all the way across town to Lincoln Square to take her class. It's totally been worth it. Dee is their good friend and neighbor, and they are quite lucky to have her right next door now that they're starting their own baby journey!

Dee holds the class in her home for five couples once a month. Pam, a labor and delivery nurse who used to work at Northwestern for many, many years before recently moving to D.C., comes in each month to teach the classes, and I'm pretty thankful she made the trip--even in the crazy snow this weekend. Pam was great. She had that same nurturing energy as Dee and was so knowledgable, patient and personable. Learning all the ups and downs of labor and delivery was much easier to handle in the comfort of Dee's home with just a few other couples. All of us in the class are due within about a week of each other; we are all delivering at the same hospital; and none of us know the sex of our babies. It was really nice being around these other couples who are at the same stage as us. Who knows, we may even run into each other at the hospital!

All in all, we both feel much more prepared to actually have this baby, which was the point of the whole weekend. I was expecting to end the weekend really freaked out with a whole new set of fears of what could go wrong or happen during labor, but I think doing it in such a comfortable environment with such great teachers really helped put my mind at ease. If anyone is interested in the class or prenatal yoga with Dee, you can check out her web site at www.yogawithdee.com.

No comments: