Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Swimfan


In an effort to get as much wear possible out of my maternity swimsuit, I've recently added swimming into my workout mix. It's hard....and I even spend a good amount of my swim time with a kickboard. So yeah, I have a whole new appreciation for Michael Phelps--not that I needed any more reason to admire him.

Here's my problem, though: swimming is boring. In yoga and group exercise classes, I don't need much entertainment because the classes themselves keep me busy. When I run and use the machines at the gym, I listen to music or watch TV. But, with swimming I've got nothing. My gym doesn't put music on in the pool area and I obviously cannot bring my iPod in the pool. So what am I supposed to do? Mostly I just stare at the clock, watch other swimmers who are much better and faster than me, and count in my head for some reason. Not too stimulating, let me tell ya. So, any swimmers out there have any tips for how to pass the time in the pool?

Another pool issue I'm having is whether or not to wear a swimcap. They look ridiculous and since I am using a kickboard for a good part of my swim routine, it seems silly. But, I put a lot of time and money into products that make my hair feel softer and make my salon-made highlights look as natural as possible. And I know from my hair magazine days chlorine is a big hair killer. So I should probably slap on a swimcap too, right. Hmm, who knew swimming could be so tricky?

2 comments:

Christine said...

I did swimming my Freshman and Sophomore yrs of HS and we would always get our hair wet; put tons of conditioner on it than the swim cap to protect it from the chlorine. After we were done we would wash our hair and get all of the conditioner out. Have fun swimming :).

pH said...

absolutely no swim cap and really I'm not comfortable with you using a kickboard either.