Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, July 14, 2008

Volleyball Pinnacle

Its fitting that my first post is realated to volleyball. Diana terms herself a "volleyball widow" in the summers because I am often "leaving" D and playing volleyball at the beach. I used to take our only car, but, now I have a scooter, and, therefore, D is not trapped at home when I play.

This weekend the AVP was in town, and did not disappoint. I took Friday off to watch some of the qualifying matches. Thursday and Friday are some of the best days because all of the players are easily accessable, enjoying the sites and sounds, and mingling with the small crowd. The big crowds come on the weekend.





Here are a couple of pictures I got. This one is with my volleyball idol Todd "The Professor" Rogers. Todd's blog is amazing. Of course Todd and his partner Phil Dalhauser recently clinched the #1 ranking in the world, winning 3 FIVB tournaments in row, and the #1 seed on the olympics. Phil and Todd won the men's tournament in Chicago.

Here is a picture with Kerri Walsh. They call her 6 feet of sunshine, and that is very true. She is 6"3', I barely come up to her neck. She is part of the 2004 olympic gold medal tandem with Misty May. Kerri and Misty are the winningest womens team of all time. This weekend was historic and Misty was the first woman to make it to 100 victories.

















Here is a picture with Karch Kiraly, the most famous beach volleyball player ever. He has 3 gold medals, 2 indoor and 1 beach. I should have bowed.




All in all it was a great weekend. Diana came down on Saturday and Sunday and we had courtside seats. The women's final was a classic match, and my prediction is that it will be a preview of the gold medal match at the olympics.


Here is a link to all of my photos of the tournament.

5 comments:

Diana said...

Excellent inaugural blog, J! I think all of our loyal readers would like to hear from you more often! Am I right people?

Anonymous said...

wow---what a weekend! Great pictures that capture the action and you got to hang with the pros. a dream come true to meet your VB idol and the great women as well.
You and D are a special blog team.
Keep on writing.
lisa

Woodford Man said...

the professor is the coolest volleyball nickname i've heard. what do they call you?

pH said...

Great blog J! I was a little confused when I read D's Facebook update that she was heading to the beach, but now it makes sense why D was a beach bum this weekend. So nice of you to use the scooter and set her free :)

Anonymous said...

Check out Misty as a front page phenom in today's NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/sports/olympics/17fitness.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)
Better to get the print version cause it has pics. Next the NYTimes'll be raiding your blog and getting the action shots of you to publish!