Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Kiss of Death

First the Mashed Potato Club and now the Mid-Day Club...

I think Jody and I may be cursed. All of "our" places keep disappearing. Our first date was at the Mashed Potato Club, which closed down about a year after our first date. The space was then taken over by Coyote Ugly. Classy.

Then the other day, we found out that the Mid-Day Club, the place we got married in the Chase (then Bank One) building, closed earlier this year. We loved the Mid-Day Club. It was an awesome space with some of the best views of the entire city. The staff at the Mid-Day Club was fantastic and made our wedding planning so much easier. We were bummed when we heard about the club closing.

Now, the 3-flat where we rented our first apartment together on Sheffield is for sale. I'm just hoping that whoever buys the place doesn't tear it down and rebuild so that another one of our places bites the dust. (I'm trying to to convince Jody that we have to buy it...to save it, of course. But that's not going so well.)

As someone who is pretty superstitious and takes everything as a sign from the universe, I can't help but be concerned. Are these bad signs for our marriage? Are local businesses and residences going to ban us? I'm sure Jody and I have many more firsts in our lives ahead of us, so for the good of Chicago businesses and our relationship, I'm hoping we can kick this curse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally bummed about the demise of the Mid-Day Club. What a loss to the city and our memories! Perhaps the Sheffield 3-flat will be purchased and renovated instead of torn down. Think positively. There are many firsts in your future together, look forward, not back.
Lisa