Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 26, 2009

What's In A Name?


Ah, my first blog since Zoe's arrival! That must be a sign that things are calming down, right? Jody's taken over blogging duties and I've been quite impressed. He is the master of posting new photos, isn't he?

So, I just wanted to write a quick blog to share how we came up with Zoe's name. Jody and I decided before her arrival that if we had a girl we'd name the baby after my side of the family and if it was a boy we'd name after his. So, since it's after my side, here's the scoop on how we came up with Zoe Emma...

In Jewish tradition, you typically do not name after people who are still living. So Zoe is named after both of my grandmas. In our case, we decided to name Zoe after my grandmas based on their Hebrew names. My Grandma Ida's Hebrew name was Chaya, which means life, and the name Zoe means life as well. Then my Grandma Ar's Hebrew name was Etel, so we chose Emma as her middle name using the first letter from Etel. When Zoe receives her Hebrew name, she will be Chaya Etel. Both of my grandmas were amazing women and I am so proud that Zoe will be carrying on their names.

Making her birthday even more special is the fact that she was born Feb. 15th, which was exactly 30 days after my Grandma Ar passed away. In Judiasm, 30 days marks the end of mourning and the beginning of new life, so Zoe's birth was truly the most perfect way to move from mourning to celebration of life. Little Z knew what she was doing holding out for Feb. 15th.

As for her last name, I was certainly hoping to sneak Schirel onto the birth certificate. Didn't happen. Someday we will be The Schirels. Someday.

1 comment:

pH said...

very cool...I like the whole 30 day theory...so special! I can't wait to meet her!