Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Going for the Gold

Jody with Olympians Phil Dalhausser (left) and Todd Rogers (right)
We've been enjoying the Olympics quite a lot these past few days. It's been pretty exciting so far. Working from home has made it easy for me to Tivo the different events we want to watch from the daytime broadcasts.

Mostly, Jody's gotten me hooked on the beach volleyball and we've only missed a few of the games so far. The other day we watched Jody's favorite team Todd Rogers and Phil Dalhausser (who are ranked as the No. 1 men's team in the world) get upset by the Latvians (ranked No. 23, I think). Although I'm rooting for Todd and Phil to win the gold, I loved the Latvians. First of all, they were adorable. Then they were just so much fun to to watch--totally animated and energized. Much different from Todd and Phil, who were obviously dragging. Yesterday, Todd and Phil were back in top form and beat the Swiss team. I'll leave the more technical volleyball breakdown to Jody.

Last night we watched some of the synchronized diving before Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh beat Cuba on the beach. Jody and I never knew synchronized diving was an Olympic sport (or a sport period). I found it kind of weird and disturbing. These divers were just so in synch with each other that it creeped me out. They did everything at the exact same time, right down to adjusting their feet before the dive. I know that's the whole point of being "synchornized" and all, but still. That's not to say they weren't good. The Chinese team was pretty amazing...you couldn't tell a difference between the two divers at all and they kept getting 9.5 and 10.0 scores. Impressive.

Also with all the Olympic buzz, there's been plenty of fun stuff to read on the Internet about all the atheletes too. But this story from CNN.com yesterday took the cake as the most bizarre story I've read yet.



1 comment:

pH said...

We kept chanting...those are Jody's friends!!! When the beach volleyball team was on.

I thought the Hoosier guy synchronized divers were slightly disturbing...okay, very disturbing.