Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Walk/Run



Happy (belated) Mother's Day!! I hope all of you moms out there had a wonderful day with your families!

We had a great day yesterday, starting with the Network of Strength Walk to Empower walk/run. Jody and I did the 5K run, and Lisa and Mike took Zoe in the stroller on the walk. It was a cool, but beautiful morning--perfect running weather, for sure. Even though Jody hasn't really run much in the past few years, he was awesome. I run 3-4 times a week, and I'm pretty sure I was holding him back! But, since it was Mother's Day and all, Jody stuck with me and we had a fun run together. He did sprint the last .2 mile and beat me by about 30 seconds! We did a 9:50 mile, which I was still happy with it. I think our final time was 30:32.

Zoe had a great time on her walk with Lisa and Mike. Lots of people to wave to and dogs to say "Dog!" to. I was so impressed that she sat in her stroller the whole time without getting cranky, despite the early wake-up time. She even stayed in good spirits through our whole walk back to our place from Grant Park. It was such a great crowd, so she loved just taking it all in.

It was such a fun way to start off Mother's Day and such a good cause. Pretty much everyone I know has been affected in some way by breast cancer, whether personally or through friends and family. Seeing such a energized crowd--and being part of it all--was a really powerful experience. Both Jody's grandma (Lisa's mom) and Mike's mom had breast cancer, so doing this race was especially personal for our little group.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great pictures and wonderful commentary. couldn"t have said it better myself. you both did an awesome run and zoe did an awesome walk. the walk/run was both inspirational and emotional for me. thanx so much for sharing the morning with us.

lisa