Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Our 1st Seder







Passover has come and gone, but I am just now getting a chance to post about our very first seder. Well, our very first that we had at our place anyway. This year we decided to host a small seder with Jody's dad and Jason, Heather and Ean.

The biggest challenge for the seder was finding a seder plate. We put off this task until the last minute, which didn't help matters. We went all over the city looking for a place that sold seder plates. I had seen some seder plates at Target.com, so I figured they could have them in the actual store too. Nope. When I asked a Target lady if they had Passover stuff, she thought I was talking about funeral stuff. (Which of course made me wonder for a minute what kind of "stuff for a funeral" they have at Target.) Finally, we found a cute seder plate at Art Effect in Lincoln Park. This is one of my favorite boutiques for gift-buying and I was excited that they sell Jewish holiday things (i.e. seder plates, menorahs, etc).

The seder went really well. Since our kitchen table is too small (and usually covered in clutter), we had to improvise. So we set up the "table" on our oversized kitchen island and that seemed to work. We all pitched in to make a complete meal. We provided the matzah, charoset, macaroons and salad; Jerry brought brisket, wine and the haggadahs; and Jason and Heather made matzah ball soup. All very tasty! This was my first time making charoset and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Zoe enjoyed a matzah ball of her own and ate the entire thing! Go Z! All in all, the kiddos did a pretty good job through the seder. Zoe got a little antsy in her high chair, but we kept the reading portion of the seder shorter than usual (and we kept her busy with Cheerios in the slower parts). It was really fun to host our own seder. Now that we have our own seder plate, hopefully we'll be hosting more in coming years. So instead of next year in Jerusalem I'm saying next year at an actual table!

No comments: